Friday, February 1, 2013

Apple Pie Filling

This recipe as well came from my friend Mary in Great Falls, Montana.  She gave me these recipes, handwritten on recipe cards after she let my family (only 2 small boys then) come for Family Home Evening and pick all the apples off her tree in the backyard.  She was about to move and she didn't want the apples to go to waste.  I was only 24 and had no idea what to do with all those apples so she gave me the two recipes.  I have been canning apples every year since thanks to her!  Here is her recipe for Apple Pie Filling. 

Ingredients:
5-6 lbs. tart apples
4 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup cornstarch
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (I combined the two spices and added The Pampered Chef Cinnamon Spice Plus instead)
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Peel, core and slice all the apples.  I used The Pampered Chef  Serrated Peeler to peel and the Apple Wedger to core and slice into 10 perfect slices.  

Pack apples into hot jars leaving one inch head space.  


In large saucepan, blend sugar, cornstarch, spices and salt.

Stir in 10 cups of hot water.  Stir on medium heat until thickened and bubbly.  Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.  Stir until mixed.  


Using a funnel, fill hot jars with hot syrup leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Use spatula to help distribute syrup.  Adjust lids and process in water bath.  Pint jars for 15 minutes and Quart jars for 20 minutes.  

When ready to make a pie, empty a jar into a pie crust and cook at 400*F for 50 minutes.  
OR
We heat up a jar and place on top of ICE CREAM!  Yummo...get in my belly! 

1 comment: