Friday, August 31, 2012

Homemade Hand Soap

I LOVE yummy smelly things and that includes my kids hands!  We wash our hands all the time and with 7 sinks in this house, I needed to make more hand soap.  I have tried about 6 different recipes and fine tuned the perfect soap recipe!  

What you will need:
1 bar of soap (grated makes about 2 1/2 cups so feel free to use all those little soaps you get free at the hotel)
1 tablespoon glycerin (get it in the medical aisle right near the hydrogen peroxide)
9 cups of water
Large pot
Grater
Measuring spoon
Funnel
Large container to store hand soap in

Grate down the bar (or bars of soap) into a bowl.  
Boil water in large pot.  Change temperature to simmer and add grated soap and glycerin to pot.  

Mix until soap is melted.  Once melted, remove from stove and let sit for 12 hours.  
Pour into large container using funnel or pour slowly.  

*All soaps are different!  If your soap is too runny, add more soap.  If is is too thick, add more water.  
* I love the foam soap dispensers!  I use this same recipe and just add extra water in the soap dispensers before I add soap and shake.  

* If you like smelly soaps, use a bar of smelly soap!  

*This only costs me the original purchase of the glycerin which was $1.80 at Walmart.  With only using 1 tablespoons per batch, I have about 20 batch's per bottle.  The soap only costs 9 cents per batch for 9 cups of soap. Can't beat that and now I have some extra cash in our monthly budget! 

2 comments: